TAP Station Cases
Issue Date: July 30, 2018
Application Deadline: September 7th, 4 pm EST
Honorarium: $1000 per case
Lancaster Public Art invites artists to create site-specific work for our glass enclosed cases located in the Lancaster Train Station concourse. Artists may submit ideas for one or both display cases located on the South side of the concourse. Artwork must be original and created specifically for the case and its location. Subject matter and material are the artist’s choice. Selected art will be on display for six months. Artists may apply as groups or individuals
July 30th, 2018 Call Issued
September 7th, 4pm EST Deadline for Submissions
September 17th Finalists Selected. Applicants Notified
Week of October 1st Interviews
October 8th Artist Selected. Applicants Notified.
Week of November 5th Artist Check-In #1 Week of December 10th Artist Check-In #2
January 4th Installation
June 28, 2019 Deinstallation
HONORARIUM - $1000
To go towards associated costs of the project, including but not limited to artist’s time, fabrication, materials, labor, transportation and installation.
DISPLAY CASE SPECS AND CONSIDERATIONS
Case length: 118” Pedestal length: 112”
Case height: 89” Height from top of pedestal to case ceiling: 58”
Case depth: 29” Pedestal top depth: 25”
See photos in Appendix A for images of cases, with measurements noted.
· Works of art must be contained inside of the glass cases.
· Alterations to the floor, walls, ceilings, benches or other area surrounding the cases cannot be considered.
· Pedestal furniture is available.
· Opening and closing of the cases can only be done by trained City Staff
· Installation and deinstallation will be based on City staff availability and schedule
· There is UV coating on the glass of the display cases.
· The City of Lancaster may be able to help install the work. The Display Cases remain installed for a maximum period of six months.
This Public Art commission is open to all professional artists, or a team thereof. Applicants must be 18 years or older. Artists who have been selected for a previous Station Cases project must wait 18 months before applying again.
Nondiscrimination Clause: The City of Lancaster, PA and the PAAB will select artists without regard to race, color, religious creed, handicap, ancestry, national origin, age or sex.
* a current artist statement and bio
* a pdf with drawings, sketches and/or renderings that will give an understanding of proposed work as well as a written description of the work.
* 5 - 8 images or video of past work
* Annotated support of images: A list that supports the work images and can include: description, budget, materials, location, and any other relevant project information.
* Itemized list of how you plan to use the honorarium.
* References: Minimum of three.
APPLY USING THIS Submittable link.
Qualifications will be judged on creativity, artistic merit, conceptual innovation, design, and compatibility with the project. Applicants should:
* Demonstrate a developed and consistent body of work regarding showing competency with similar or applicable projects;
* Demonstrate artistic merit as evidenced by visual documentation;
* Submit proposals that clearly have considered the site
* If applying as a group, each artist must supply a resume and bio. Submit the group applications together.
September 7th, 2018 received by 4:00 p.m. Eastern Time Zone. Late applications will not be reviewed.
Artists will be notified upon receipt of their qualifications being submitted and again once the finalists have been selected on October 8th, 2018.
Artists are responsible for installation, deinstallation, and site restoration and must grant City of Lancaster the right to a royalty-free, perpetual license to use any depictions of the artwork for non-commercial purposes (credit will be given to artist).
The five-member selection panel includes artists, professionals, and community members. The Public Art Manager serves as a non-voting advisor to the committee.
- Submissions that arrive on or before the due date and meet all the application requirements, will be reviewed by the selection committee.
- 2-3 finalists will be selected and invited to interview.
- Artists may interview in-person, over the phone or via Skype.
- Artist is selected
If you have questions, please email Joanna Davis Seedorf, Public Art Manager, Lancaster Public Art at email@example.com or call (717) 291-4829
APPENDIX A PHOTOS OF DISPLAY CASES